1857 Julius Friedrich Espenschied starts his entrepreneurial activities in Mannheim
1863 - 1880 Otto Reinhard works as bricklayer and lime burner in Mannheim
1863 - 1867 Reinhard’s brickworks near Friedrichsfeld
1863, 01.03. Takeover of Mannheim cement works by Julius Friedrich Espenschied
1864 Espenschied’s company is now called Portland-Cement-Works Mannheim
1872 Stoneware pipe factories come into existence in Germany
1873 Espenschied’s factory in Mannheim flourishes, he employs 150 workers
1873, 29.08. Julius Friedrich Espenschied opens a branch of his cement works on the premises of Reinhard’s brickworks near Friedrichsfeld.
1874/75 Founders’ period crisis
1876 Conversion of Espenschied’s cement works into public limited company
1876, 15.07. Friedrichsfeld branch goes independent
1878, 07.05. Julius Espenschied’s Portland Cement and Clay Factory Friedrichsfeld is added to Schwetzingen Commercial Register.
1878, 16.10. Espenschied leaves the Mannheim Portland-Cement-Works
1879 Acquisition of the first quarry in Waldhilsbach
1879 Foundation of men’s choir ‘Frohsinn’ by workers of the Espenschied cement works
1883 -1894 Ultramarine and aniline factory on Friedrichsfeld factory site
1885 Introduction of a factory health care system
1886 200 workers are employed in Friedrichsfeld
1888 First production of chemical stoneware
1889 Espenschied’s company experiences liquidation problems
1890, 01.01.
und 12.07.
Conversion of single company into public limited company called Badische Thonröhren- und Steinzeugwarenfabrik, formerly J.F. Espenschied AG. Majority of shares is held by a Berlin bank, Bankhaus Bonte.
1892, 15.06. Otto Hoffmann managing director of Friedrichsfeld factory
1892, 18.09. Espenschied resigns
1893 Certificate for Friedrichsfeld products by world expedition in Chicago
1894 Certificate of Honour by world expedition in Antwerp
1895 Certificate of Honour by Strasbourg industry and trade exhibition for Hoffmann connecting piece
1900 Gold medal by world expedition in Paris
1902, 16.10. Factory visit by Baden Great Duke and highest praise
1903 Gold medal by German cities exhibition in Dresden
1905 Friedrichsfeld joins prize convention of German stoneware factories
1906 Certificate of Honour for sewage products at international exhibition in Milan
1911 Gold medal at international hygiene exhibition in Dresden and Grand Prix at world exhibition in Turin
1912 Gold medal by city of Hanover
1912, 05/06 Great Strike
1913 State prize by kingdom of Saxony
1914 770 employees and strong export to almost all countries in the world
1914, 02.08. Managing Director Otto Hoffmann dies
1914 - 1918 First World War – transformation of production to war requirements, especially with chemical stoneware.
1915 Acquisition of stoneware factory Muggensturm near Rastatt
1922, 01.04. Syndicate “Sales Corporation of German Stoneware Factories” in Berlin-Charlottenburg. Otto Raisig becomes general manager of the syndicate.
1926 Acquisition of majority of shares by Cremer & Breuer in Frechen, Jakob Cremer becomes chairman of supervisory board.
1927 Extension of syndicate
1928 915 employees
1930 - 1933 World economical crisis – sales collapse
1932 235 employees
1935 Fire brigade equipment shed is built
1938 Polishing works are extended
1939 Extension and development of chemical department
1939 - 1945 Second World War
1943 War in the air increases, heavy attacks on Mannheim start
1944, 25.04. Departments are moved to Muggensturm, Oeslau and Bischweier
1945, 24.03. War events cause the company to cease functioning
29.03. Artillery attacks and fires in parts of the factory
30.03. Factory premises are occupied by Americans
12.04. - 22.06. Canteen and other parts of the factory are occupied by former Russian prisoners of war
14.04. Clearing up work begins
1946 Production is resumed
1949 Reconstruction is completed
1954/55/56 Two tunnel kilns, automatic compression and drying plants are constructed according to Dr Gottfried Cremer’s procedure, continuous production is started in stoneware pipe production. Technical porcelain and white stoneware.
1955 Introduction of processing of plastics, combinations of plastic and stoneware for chemical equipment and plants
1956 Processing of electro-graphite
1958 About 1000 employees, market share in public sewage system products amounts of 10-12% of German requirements, Friedrichsfeld is main producer of chemical-technical stoneware
1960 Plastic plant is constructed
1961 Company name is changed to Deutsche Steinzeug- und Kunststoffwarenfabrik für Kanalisation und chemische Industrie
1961, 24.12. Large fire destroys part of the production plant for sewage stoneware
1962 Construction of a new stoneware plant with tunnel kiln. Foundation of Friedrichsfelder Abwasser- und Verfahrenstechnik GmbH for the development of plants for sewage and waste water industry
1964 Start of production of oxidised ceramics, plastic seals for stoneware pipes and stoneware pipes with prefabricated concrete sleeve
1965 Start of processing highly corrosion resistant metals
1966 Closure of plant at Muggensturm
1967 Expansion of oxidised ceramics department
1969 Integration of Weseelinger Gußwerk –Rheinguß GmbH
1971 Conversion of combustion of heavy oil to natural gas, trademark FRIALIT for oxidised ceramic products
1972 Expansion of plastic processing capacity and factory buildings
1973 Restructuring of Cremer group and change of company name to “FRIEDRICHSFELD GmbH Steinzeug und Kunststoffwerke”
1974 Move of production of chemical-technical stoneware from Kassel-Bettenhausen to Friedrichsfeld. Development of dental implants
1977, 01.10. Takeover of DEGUSSIT division from Degussa Frankfurt am Main. Expansion of Frialit division
1978, 12.05. Completion of a new factory building for FRIALIT-DEGUSSIT division. Pipe department is rented out to another company within the group
1979, 01.01. Acquisition of Rhein-Plastik-Rohr-GmbH in Mannheim-Neckarau and move of production to Friedrichsfeld
1982 Stoneware pipe production ceases
1983/84 Demolition of old characteristic buildings, e.g. chimneys, kiln sheds and the water and clock tower
1985 New division Technical Plastics
1986 Renovation of administration building and reception building. Acquisition of Nordrohr Elmshorn
1988 Acquisition of Rheinhütte Wiesbaden
1989 Acquisition of Th. Jansen GmbH St. Ingbert
1990, 01.08. Conversion into FRIEDRICHSFELD AG
1990 Shutting down of bleaching plants, barrel ceramics, tit production and the orthopaedic business. Internationalisation is taken further by introducing the name FRIATEC
1993 Conversion to FRIATEC AG Keramik- und Kunststoffwerke
1997 Change of company name to FRIATEC AG
1998 Take-over by Glynwed group
2001 FRIATEC now under the umbrella organisation of Etex Group
2003 FRIATEC an Aliaxis company